Sunday, April 24, 2011

Looking for winning lottery numbers...

So as I sit here, in my den, preparing for another week of 40 hours or more of being cussed out, I realize it is time to find a new job.  For the past few years, I wanted to teach.  I am convinced that my calling is to stand in front of a classroom and tell teenagers about things that happened in the past, and helped us get to where we are today.  I also realize that I will not have the opportunity to do this, as there are a lot more history teachers out there than there are positions available.  Besides, even if I want to do this, I would either have to get a teachers certificate or get a Masters Degree.  I can't imagine trying to get a Masters in history right now, as that is just money that I don't have.  Also, I barely had the time to get a Bachelors Degree, I can't take off of work to get a Masters Degree.  Worse yet, if I plan to live in Wisconsin, I do not want to teach as long as Scott Walker is governor.  All I see is the further deterioration of urban public schools, and no money available to improve them as Walker and his buddies withdraw funds from those schools.  I do have a lot of goals set in my head, however, regarding education.  I am excited about the plans we have at my church to help kids every weekend with tutoring sessions, based on an idea that came to me from after school programs we had at my church in Sacramento.  I also hope there are training positions available at a company, preferably Kohl's, as I would like to continue working there.  But the more I think about that, the more I wonder if I will be doing what I know I was called to do... 

So my question for you, my friends, is what is your calling?  Are you doing it?  If there is something else you could do in life, what would it be?  Hypothetically speaking, if you won the lottery today, but you still had to work (for free) what would you do? Think about it and feel free to post...

5 comments:

  1. Well even though I get frustrated many a day with all different aspects of my job and my SUPERIORS, I have to say that I would Soldier for free!! I love what I do so very much and although I am pin-pointing a day and time to end my service to my Nation, I still can't really bring myself to REALLY think of that day!! I really would love to do what I do until I die, I actually love it that much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the thing about doing what you want to do: You have to find a way to get there, or you will continuously long to do it. The path I have entered on will cost me a fortune. More than five years of my current salary just in tuition alone. Will it be worth it? ABSOLUTELY! If I won the lottery I would still continue down this path and I would do it for free. I may do it for free even if I don't win the lottery because there are people who have no money who need health care.

    Think about volunteering as well, youth groups, organizations that take care of homeless families, all could use your services!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely living my calling and feel very lucky to be able to say that. I am most certainly NOT in it for the money, as arts education is sadly undervalued in this country, even though its scientifically proven to . . . as they say . . . "make kids smarter".

    If i didnt have to work, I still would. If money wasnt an issue, I'd make sure that kids who didnt have access to music education would get it, because even though they dont pay us teachers a lot, it still is a rather elitist opportunity for the children.

    I agree with Susan that we are changing beings and we have to continue to be looking for our bliss. Do I love what I do ALL the time? Heck no! Some students make me want to pull my hair out, some parents are unreasonable and some conductors are just idiots. BUT, the good far outweighs the bad and I wouldnt change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me preface this with the fact that you can take it or leave it (somehow I think you already knew that…but I had to say it!) My calling is to work with people, I’m currently finishing my masters program so that I can do just that. It has been SO much work. It has also been life changing in ways I never would have expected. I feel so fulfilled when I’m working with others. It truly is what I was meant to do and I’m glad that I had the support and the courage to take this leap. I couldn’t have done it without my friends, my family, my teammates and most importantly my husband.
    For years I thought about becoming a counselor. For years I thought, gosh that will just take to much time…too much money. For years now I could have been doing what really makes me happy, but I wasted that time thinking about TIME. Lisa, if you’ve found your calling go for it!! Yes, it will be a few more years of your life to get a masters or a credential (by the way UoP offers a master’s in Education which might work for you) and yes it will cost more money but honestly, are you going to let a few classes get in the way of what you feel like you need to do? I hear what you’re saying about available positions so maybe a master’s in education might be a good option, that broadens your scope. You don’t know what the landscape will be 2 years from now, but if you’re doing what you’re meant to do I truly believe that you will find your way. There are always private schools, international schools, or schools in other states. Who knows where this dream will take you Lisa…but don’t you want to see where you can go?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. doing what I love, loving what I am doing. of course I had 30+ yrs NOT in this state of employment happiness. don't give up the dream, if I can do it w/ ALL the issues I've gone thru, you can too! I BELIEVE in you Lisa! :) love you

    ReplyDelete